Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Onion and Olive Crackers

My second attempt at baking in two days and this time I did have my hands in the flour-oil-water mixture to form a proper dough. Well, don't know about "proper" - Once again, my baking time is far more than the recommended baking time for crackers and such. I had them in the oven for at least an hour. Can someone suggest what I'm doing wrong? I'm just really paranoid about eating raw dough batter and so would tend to leave the baking tray in the oven even longer than necessary.

Anyway, they turned out looking very sexy...They'll go well with my Baba Ghanoush! :)
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup wheat flour
  • 1/4 -1/2 cup of olive oil
  • 1/2 - 1 cup of warm water
  • 2/3 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1/2 cup of fried onions
  • 5-10 green olives, chopped up fine
  • 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
  • 1 teaspoon of dry basil
  • 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds (as garnish)

Prep work: Cut an onion lengthwise and fry till its a deep brown color. Do this a day before and place in refrigerator. They should be crunchy.

To make:

To the flour, add the oil and water (leave some in reserve). Along with the fried onions and cumin seeds. Add the chopped olives and the basil.



Form a sticky dough - Adjust the oil and water according to the consistency of the dough you are seeking.

Using a rolling pin or the palm of your hand, roll out the dough into a thin sheet (no more than 1/8th of an inch in height)
 Oil your baking tray and gently place the dough inside.

 With a knife coated in oil or dipped in water, gently cut the raw dough into thin slivers or the shape you desire.
Bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown. (Mine took more than an hour - thats my headache to figure out what I am doing wrong)




Onion and Olive Crackers on Foodista

2 comments:

caterpillar said...

wow... the pics look so yummy....

Raw_Girl said...

Thanks for your kind words!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...