We usually add mutton to this dish, or serve it with boiled eggs. But this one's all vegan with just potatoes and drumsticks. You're supposed to suck the flesh inside the drum stick, not eat the chewy fiberous outside. The recipe is a rough gist I got from my mom.Parsi Ras Chawal (Spicy Tomato Gravy with Rice)
Serving: One personIngredients:
- 2-3 tomatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 potato
- 1 drumstick
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon coriander cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon sugarcane vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Puree the tomatoes in a blender.
- In a pot, dry roast the flour for 5 minutes.
- Add the finely chopped garlic, chopped onion as well as the spices, along with a dash of water.
- Add the tomato puree, sugar, and the vinegar to form a sauce. Let it simmer away for 10-15 minutes
- Peel your potato and cut into approx 4 wedges.
- Clean your drumstick removing the tough fiberous bark on the outside. Cut into four pieces of equal length.
- Add the potato wedges and drum sticks to your gravy.
- Cook on a low heat till the potatoes are done.
- Serve on a bed of hot white rice, along with a raita/salad consisting of chopped cucumber, red onion, beetroot and coriander salad.