But first, this recipe is dedicated to Tiffany! A while ago, Tiffany commented that she uses coconut milk with her tea. I found that a bit absurd, even suggesting that she use soy milk instead. But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. With coffee. Not tea. So, I brewed a strong batch of black coffee, and added a couple of dollops of coconut cream. OH MY GOD - It tastes sooo good!! Now, I've stopped having my daily tea and have coconut cream spiked coffee every day! Everyone should at least try it once - vegan or not.
You should definitely try making a small batch of coconut milk coffee before you attempt making a bigger batch of coconut and coffee icecream. If you like the taste, proceed with the below.
I wanted a bittery coffee taste to my ice cream and so have added just 6 teaspoons of sugar. Do a taste test on your coffee brew and adjust sugar accordingly.
Coffee and Coconut Icecream
Servings: About 6-8 scoops
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 4 cups water
- 4 teaspoons coffee
- 5-6 teaspoons brown sugar
- Brew a strong batch of black coffee using the coffee powder, sugar and water.
- Let it wittle down to two-thirds of the original batch and then turn off the gas.
- Let the coffee cool down for 10 minutes before stirring in the coconut cream.
- Stir well till the mixture is a nice mocha color and there are no coconut cream floating around undissolved.
- Transfer to a container and freeze -with the lid on - for a couple of hours.
- After a few hours, break up the ice cream into chunks and blitz the chunks into a mushy liquid in a blender. Refreeze. Repeat this process a couple of times.
- Then let it set one final time.