Never been a big fan of soya - mainly because I haven't really given it a real shot. But when you're vegan, you have to rely on substitutes for eggs and milk. I bought a small packet of tofu today - half expecting to try a morsel, say "I gave it a shot. But i didnt like it, what can I do?" and toss the remainder in the trash.
- About 100 grams of tofu, julienned, then cut again into tiny bits (alternately, just crumble it in with your fingers - thats what I will do next time!)
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes
- Quarter of an onion, chopped
- Half a teaspoon of chili powder (or add one whole chili)
- Half a teaspoon of turmeric powder
- A little bit of black mustard seeds
- A bundle of coriander, chopped (retain all the stalks)
- Teensy bit of vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat a wok till its blazing hot and keep all your ingredients chopped and ready by your side.
- Throw in the onions
- Then the chili and turmeric powder
- Then the whole mustard seeds
- Mix to a non-lumpy paste
- Then throw in the tofu. Mix on high speed for about 30 seconds.
- Then add the tomatoes (another 10 seconds on the gas)
- Finally add the coriander.
- Another 10 seconds and take it off the gas.
Bottom line: Tofu is a tasteless sponge. Its what you add to the tofu that makes or breaks a dish. I will definitely be buying tofu with each visit to the supermarket.